Hellooooooooo

Wednesday 7 September 2011

The Squirts.

Unfortunately I'm not referring to my kids here, no, I have had a dreadful bout of the Trotsky's. 

On day one I joked about how diarrhoea will finally help me to lose weight but oh dear, by day three I thought I'd never get better.  Just awful,

I was advised by docs to avoid dairy,(obvious) but also meat, fish and eggs.  She said to stick to uncomplicated food, like rice, porridge oats, dry toast etc.  I lived like Howard Hughes for a week. A reclusive, shrunken, manic wreckage of my former self, covering everything I touched or breathed near with disinfectant.   Anyway, it's finally gone now and I had sausage, mash and veg for dinner, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnn

Me and S had a shared day off today which is unusual during the week.  It felt like a mini weekend which is bloody lovely as it'll really break the working week up. 

We had the home visit from our son's teachers this morning. I think it's a new thing for reception class age, (just starting school), and I think it's a fantastic idea,  seeing as the likes of Social Services miss so much due to being short staffed, desensitised, managed wrong, whatever... I reckon all teachers should make regular visits...three times a year or something.  J loved it and seemed really proud of his home & family which was lovely to see.  Both kids came across as articulate, sociable, bright, interested little angels.

They fought as soon as the teachers had left though so we went out.

First we went to the shop to buy J's first ever school trousers, then we went to a great charitable organisation who go and collect decent furniture that people are throwing out and they sell it from this big warehouse for such a cheap price and it's for charity which is great. 

We went there hoping to find a table and chairs that'd fit in the small kitchen, to enable us to eat together as a family for once.  Well, we found a large round pine table that can extend to a huge oval and then we rummaged a bit more and I found four really classic solid wooden chairs.  The great thing is, the chairs need the dark old varnish sanding off them and maybe some light wax on them, so they should go well with the table.  Plus, the seats are the old fashioned type that just lift out, so I am looking forward to finding some groovy material and recovering them.  In total, the four chairs and large table cost us £30.  Fantastic!

When we got home, I cooked dinner and we all watched Diary of a Wimpy Kid.   What a great film! It's about two young boys who start 'middle school' (American term that I think means like Junior school, so for about 9/10 yr olds?)  Just a simple little story about how when you're at school, the most pathetic things mean the world and how the minutest action can effect your popularity for your entire school life but in the end, being yourself and being a good friend is the most important thing.  Sounds cliched and dull but it really was laugh out loud funny in a lot of places; the whole, 'cheese touch' storyline in particular.

Anyhoo, I'm only posting when I feel like it now.  I was trying to post every day but it began to feel like a chore as inside my head is not that interesting at the moment!

I'm enjoying reading others blogs and am trying to get into the book, One Day, that's just been made into a film.  Ho hum, hope you're all very well ;)

3 comments:

  1. I hope your runny tummy has cleared up (instead of clearing out).

    I love second hand stuff. It is interesting, usually well made and so much cheaper. Plus you can do stuff with it. It can have its own look combined with yours.

    I would never be a teacher - underpaid, overworked and unappreciated. Their extra holidays are not worth the grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I have a romantic idea of what being a teacher for little kids is like but the reality is alot different. All the sh!te from Health & Safety re no ball games, no playing conkers, no fun must drive them mad. I mentioned to J's teacher that he gets mild excema sometimes and she looked apologetic and said, "if you bring cream in for him, unfortunately he has to apply it to the back of his legs himself as we're not allowed to"!!! We both shook our heads. So sad.
    The chairs are plain, lived in, solid wood ones and I am really looking forward to giving them a new lease of life. I love that we got the whole lot for 30 quid!
    And yes, thank you, the earth kitts are no more! x Thank you for commenting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are feeling better. I know very well how ones health affects your outlook on everything in life in general. It is easy to fall in love with older stuff that is well made, it has charm, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Do comment...it makes me happy!