Hellooooooooo

Monday 16 May 2011

Pineapples

Why do I always buy pineapples but never eat them?
They always end up being thrown out by S a fortnight later?

S even advises me not to make the purchase when we're in the supermarket but I just can't resist their tropical, spiky allure.  Their palm tree hairstyle and lumpy exterior.

I'm like a goldfish with a 3 second memory span where pineapples are concerned.  I forget that I never eat them and insist that I really fancy one and they are very good for you. I convince myself that we will have dinner and then instead of pudding, we will all have a big wedge of pineapple and we will all love it.

There's one in the fruit bowl now.  Untouched.

Potato salad is another one.  I always buy pots of the stuff and S says, "you'll never eat it. You never do". 

And strawberries.  I buy punnets when they're on offer and they get lobbed into the bin a week later, all mushy wearing new white fluffy jackets.

I tell the kids off for wasting food.  I have told J about the starving kids around the world who only have dirty water to drink and yet there I am, frivolously making impulse purchases, on loop.  Like grocery ground hog day.

Why do I do it?  S just pointed at me and stated, "because YOU have never been hungry, that's why"!

Right, I'll show him! I'm gonna join that group of freeloaders who rifle through supermarket skips and neighbours bins.  I won't really but I might make bubble and squeak tomorrow.


4 comments:

  1. I do the same with kiwi fruit and rock melon. In fact, I used to be dreadful with buying veges and then chucking them out onto the compost two weeks later.

    Now I often buy the stuff pre cut from a local grocer. I mean, I only want a little bit so why buy a bowling ball size rock melon? The cost is only a bit more than if I bought it uncut and it gets used.

    Currently I have a punnet of hairy strawberries in my fridge. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea... I think the only food item that never gets wasted is chocolate ice cream. I always make sure the entire tub is finished up and appreciated. Also, S often leaves his chocolate un eaten...I make a point of being very 'green' and recycle his bars by tuning them into my bars and that way, they get eaten.
    And milk. I have 'milk panic' when there's under 2 pints left in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have toilet paper panic. I like to havea bout 36 rolls in the cupboard at any given time. It makes me feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha so does my mum. They have what looks like an igloo of loo roll, stacked in the bathroom cupboard.

    ReplyDelete

Do comment...it makes me happy!