Hellooooooooo

Saturday 14 May 2011

If I Were Rich...

I haven't written for some time.  I haven't felt the need to write.  I realise that I write on my blog when my head is so cluttered by mundane, routine life that I just need to let my own thoughts out before they get completely squashed by the 9 - 5ness of it all.

I am on a three week break with my family.

Me & S both work full time (although I may not have my job soon, as a result of government cuts, forcing decent, hard working, put upon folk to reapply for one of 70 positions against 100 plus other people).  The work is not pleasant by any standards.  I have moaned about it before and I am not looking forward to slipping back into that drudgery again but it's a means to an end.

We never have time off together and hadn't had a family holiday until last week.  The four of us went to Malta for seven nights.  We stayed in the Ramla Bay Resort, in Marfa, near Melliha Bay.

It was hot but not unbearable, the private beach was strewn with rubbish but we reported it and it was cleaned the following morning.  The food was dire. A real feast of what they assume tourists want.  On one night, we were served raw chicken, twice and raw, watery fish three times. The 'entertainment' was the worst 1980's, lack lustre, desperate karaoke we had ever witnessed.

We honestly wish we were still there now.

It's truly amazing what time away from work can do for your soul.  We have rediscovered our little families spirit and have laughed and shouted and sung and been really loving and actually listened to each other.

It took a good two days before we had got into the swing of things and at least 4 days before we'd truly relaxed.  By then, we realised we had only three days left of sun, sea and sand, so we really made the most of it.

If I were rich, really comfortably loaded with cash and didn't need to work, or answer to anybody I didn't care about, life would be fabulous.  Life's pretty good now, don't get me wrong but my goodness, when you really relax, you donnarf connect with your nearest and dearest....and yourself!

When I was younger, pre S and motherhood, I travelled a bit, Oz, Thailand, Tenerife, Ireland... and so it felt very strange to be doing the whole package/family holiday and at first, I felt a little let down by it.  As I said, it took us a good few days to chill out and appreciate the break & surroundings.

Since we've been back home, we've been like a different family.  I've bought new books for the kids, S has drunk much less beer, the kids have been laughing and playing together so well and Me & S have been like loves young dream!  As i type, the kids are howling with laughter in the other room....hmmmn..

So...if you can, rediscover your immediate family.  The ones you share your home with.  They are the ones who probably get the worst of you.  We put on false smiles and forced politeness for strangers but snap at our families don't we?  We're making a real effort to lessen the amount of times we say, "in a minute" to the kids... Me and S are making the most of each others company and I even got a fishing license yesterday and we spent the whole day, 8am til 3.30pm by the lakes and I actually caught 8 fish.  the biggest was only about 7 inches long but when I was in Oz, by the Barrier Reef, I was the only soul who couldn't catch a thing, so I was made up and will be making it a regular thing.  We just sat and enjoyed the sounds of nature and oh..... the kids have just walked in and shown me exactly why they were howling with laughter....... looks like they've 'rediscovered' talcum powder!  Looks like I'm off to clean up! ;)

 



 



4 comments:

  1. When you have a child (or children) they kind of act as a bit of a buffer between the parents. You just have to reconnect as something other than parents now and then or it gets very, very hard to do that fifteen years later. It's good you are seeing that now.

    Your two are little gorgeous monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes Linda, I can't believe the state of the house when I take a second look at photos I happily upload for the world to see. I can't really blame the mess on the kids but they are a good excuse...there's always something better to do than bloomin tidyin up!
    And you're right about reconnecting as something other than parents. It is so hard to do during the routine struggle and I am now an even stronger advocate of a good break away from it all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My house is untidy. I never mop my floor except on special event days (Christmas actually). My bathroom is messy.

    Life is so short - and I would rather blog than clean my dunny.

    ReplyDelete

Do comment...it makes me happy!