Hellooooooooo

Wednesday 22 June 2011

Bathing Beauty

I went swimming last night.

I think it might be the new temporary filler to fight the flab, whilst my fat anklets are recovering from supporting my thunderous weight.  I read that when running, your weight TIMES THREE is landing down on your foot every step you take!  That would be 36 stone of lard crashing down on my buckling anklets! I wonder if that was what Sting was on about in his breathy hit song from the 80's?

OUCH!

Anyway, obsessive that I am, I ordered my new Adidas running tights and they have arrived but I am as yet unable to wear them due to the old shin splint saga.  Instead, I was taken to the local swimming pool and instructed on how to swim for weight loss by my pal Lola Showgirl.

Lola Showgirl is a competitive sportswoman.  Not a professional but she is a qualified kids hockey coach and is competitive in everything she does. (CONGRATULATIONS BTW)!

So, I rolled myself into my modest swimming costume...after finally attacking the knicker side burns...and went.

We started of with breast stroke (4 lengths) then a couple of lengths using just legs whilst you hold a float out front.  Lola propelled along at a rate of notts and I honestly, could not move!   I promise you, no exageration, I kicked my legs up and down like a muthahugger and just sort of inched back & forth in the water.

Tos save time & embarrassment, she advised me to go on my side and 'scissor' my legs and I like to think that I glided through the pool like a swan, (on it's side with a float gripped under it's wing for dear life).

She was making me do lengths of breast stroke in between each change.

The best one was when I held the float between my thighs and just used my arms for two lengths.  It gives you a very small idea of how hard it must me for wheelchair users to build up the strength they need to get about.

I did a few back stroke as well and I must say that Lola was full of encouragement and not at all like Harvey Welland.  More like Mad lizzie actually.

Tonight I am going to try a Deep Aqua class.  Hmmmn, the smell of chlorine used to make me feel sick and nervous when I was little, so I'm not particularly looking forward to it and I am actually missing the sweat factor that comes with running when overweight but I will give it a go as I don't wanna stop now, just as things have started moving.

I am PARTICULARLY PEE'D OFF COZ FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON, I CAN NO LONGER STICK PHOTOS ON MY POSTS!!! I DID THE ONE ABOVE BUT CANNOT DO ANY MORE??!!

;)

6 comments:

  1. I will close my eyes while looking at the above picture and wait for something more fetching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG
    I just realized your a Scorpio too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, did you wear a mankini?

    I learnt to swim two years ago. I still don't like swimming so will be unlikely to go in the pool again. My bathing suit is for sitting in BY the pool or BY the beach. Now and then I pop my feet in the water and paddle them - then that is it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't the ocean have things in there that can eat you? Hey, I saw Jaws!

    ReplyDelete
  5. R. Jacob - Yep a Scorpio - Nothing in our oceans, unless you count the Lochness Monster but that;s Scotland and only apparently real!

    L.Twad - I'm suprised you're not a swimmer. I thought you'd be scuba diving and surfing all over the shop, seeing as you're an all action chick...Do you like swimming pools rather than the sea? I love swimming, I just have no stamina.

    ReplyDelete

Do comment...it makes me happy!