Hellooooooooo

Sunday 10 July 2011

Should Men Dye Their Hair?


No.  It is undignified and unmanly.

Yes.  If it makes the individual feel better, it's nobody else's business.

Which camp do you fall into? We are all ageing (if we're lucky) and for some it is kinder to than others.  A few of my girlfriends look better now than they did a few years ago but I definitely looked 10 times better in my 20's.

If someone were to put a ban on me being allowed to dye my hair, well, I just don't know how I'd cope. 

I noticed the first few greys in my mid to late 20's I suppose and as I always got a few blond highlights to up lift my natural mousiness, I just had a few extra ones added.  Gradually, I just had to get them done more regularly and eventually, it stops becoming an accessory to your overall look and more of a necessity to help you look your age!

It's fairly normal, for women to dye their greys, in fact it is the norm.  Even still, I cringe when people, (My Auntie for one) draws attention to them.  "Coor look at your grey roots"!  In front of a crowd of acquaintances at my brothers wedding a few years back.  Apart from that, I looked bloody good in a knee length, scarlet bridesmaids dress! I had been having a few anxiety attacks and was a small size 8 - 10 due to the inability to eat too much.  But, after that comment had been made, I felt a bit ugly & awkward.  Almost like a fraudulent oap, disguised as a 20 something.

So, I dye my hair at home, now every 4 weeks on the roots to hide the grey... but get it 'done' properly I'd say every 4 months. If money were no object, I'd be in the hairdressers every month at least.

No shocker there, so why is it different for men to do it?  Most men look better with a few wrinkles and greys.  There is something rugged and masculine and wise about it.

Some men look like they struggle a bit. 

I was reading The Sunday Times this morning and there is an article about Liz Hurley's partner, cricketer Shane Warne.  Now there has been an astonishing change in his appearance.  He looks like a waxy mannequin now, as opposed to the Ozzie sheep sheering, beer guzzler he used to look like. Although he did look even then like he'd had his teeth veneered and bleached, (that's ok though is it?).


Why do people do this to themselves?  All that money, you'd think they'd be able to find the best, most knowledgeable experts to help them subtly tweak what nature had already given them.  I mean, he wasn't an ugly man to begin with, so why has he felt the need to go to such extremes?  Liz, was this your idea???!

I watched Jackass 3 on dvd last night and noticed that the gorgeous boy/man Johnny Knoxville had suddenly aged.  He looks very skinny and older, all of a sudden and it made me wonder, is it harder for blokes, particularly male celebrities, than it is for us birds?

I mean, just look at the pic above.  We all look at Shane and go AGGGH!!! But Liz has quite obviously had so much more help than old Shaney.  Hers must be a daily, if not hourly task.  She can't eat a lot and the hair, facials, botox, peels, lifts & tucks?? (possibly) must amount to thousands & thousands £££.  Still, Gordon Ramsey getting a hair transplant hits headlines, as does Wayne Rooney, or Simon Cowell's botox eye droop.  It's almost like it's a slur on their manliness, admitting that they need help in the looks department, or that they even care.  Is caring too feminine?

Female celebs get a lot more done and it seems to be completely acceptable.  Unless like Heidi Montag, you completely ruin yourself.  I think it says a lot about our society when it's almost a prerequisite for women over a certain age to have work down to stop themselves looking their age and for men to do the same is sneered at.  Also, the age at which kids are enquiring about surgery and tweaking says a lot.

Me and Marie were going through a magazine and her 8 yr old son was standing nearby.  We showed him an orange, fake boobed, blond celeb and a natural looking celeb.  Both pretty but the natural girl was beautiful and apart from styled hair and shaped eyebrows, she looked like she hadn't yet had any 'enhancements'.  Marie's son chose the pneumatic blond as 'definitely the prettiest'.  We went through the magazine, not judging or commenting but just asking, 'her, or her', and every time, he said the fake was the most attractive.

Is this so different to how it was years ago?  I mean, Marilyn Monroe apparently used to cut a cm off one of her heels on each pair of shoes, to aid the wiggle when she walked.  There are numerous stories from back in the Silver Screen era that wisdom teeth were removed to give a hollow cheeked look and nose jobs and orthodontics were rife.  Even the Technicolor lurid orange skin, coral lipstick and brilliant white teeth on the posters and fanzines were popular then.  All fake and OTT.

I asked S for a male opinion;

"It's just your lot, innit? be happy with the skin you're in.  What's the point of spending money on hiding something that's gonna come out eventually? Save your money and enjoy it instead.  Apart from plucking the middle out of my mono brow...and my back patch, I don't care"

He then added, "If Liz Hurley was caught going to the shops with grey hair, no make up and a tracksuit on, everyone would go, Errr look at Liz Hurley!  If she did an interview or whatever, the following week, with the same grey hair and said "i 'm just letting myself go natural now", nobody would give a sh!t.  it's only because she cares, that other people do". 

Hmmn, it's definitely a strong point and a possibility in some cases but I think that her work may dry up as well as her sex life.  Unless other celebs decided that this was the way to go, she'd be a lone crusader.  Or, it'd work in her favour and she'd be a beautiful example of the natural, confident, older woman.  A real role model for our young girls.  We might all think, FUQ IT! and ditch the dye.

S took our 4 yr old son to watch Transformers 3 the other day and he moaned that Rosie Huntington Whitely looked like a skinny kid and that all the women were so ridiculously thin, orange and model like that it just looked silly.  He actually said that if the other women had been 'normal', it'd make the leading lady stand out. Hmmm again!  Anyway, I asked our son and he said that the ladies in the film looked silly too. hahaha maybe his attitude will change around 14yrs of age!

I believe that confidence has a lot to do with it.  Maybe everything boils down to confidence?  Anyway, here are a few celebs who I think are beautiful...

Audrey Tautou


Christian Bale



Judi Dench





Denzel Washington

Helen Mirren
Jack Nicholson

Jessica Lange

   
Uma Thurman above, (with or without make up) and beautiful Leslie Caron
And here are two of S's offerings...not surprisingly they're both 'tough' women and both featured very sexually in action films, Terminator and True Lies but I think surprisingly and refreshingly, he said that they both look beautiful now too as they have, 'left themselves alone'!
Linda Hamilton then
Linda Hamilton now


Jamie lee Curtis then

Jamie Lee Curtis now



Hmmmm (again), now where did I put those dumbbells?

4 comments:

  1. I am right with you on the hair dye for guys. It never looks right.

    Going grey is not for the feint hearted. When I first allowed the grey to grow out it really, really tested my confidence but I just stuck to the idea that I had grey hair and I was entitled to grow it out. Any brown in my hair now is just the hair colour slowly growing out.

    I LOVED Linda Hamilton in Terminator. She was the original gung go gal in my eyes.

    As lovely as Liz Hurley looks I think she looks every bit her age. It is make up and grooming that is the key. She presents well. She exercises and is mindful of what she eats. It's her job. You cannot get her look with just Botox. But I think if she does not change her style a bit she will look a bit like and old broad who cannot deal with the aging process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people are blessed with good looks. Getting older doesn't seem to affect them too much. However, there are those who seem to go overboard trying to hold on. Their choice of course. But it doesn't look right.

    Part of it is acceptance of ones self worth not being tied to outward looks. If you are happy, that beauty will show through.

    Taking care of ones self will defy the aging process even if it is to just slow it down. People around you will appreciate the effort.

    If a woman chooses to dye her hair, that is fine though one day it no longer works and you must move on. When that day comes, your call of course, there would be a sense of relief that that chapter is now closed. Age is not a barrier to how a woman looks and grey hair is not a negative either.

    Men dyeing their hair is of course silly. No matter what the commercials say, it looks down right stupid. I am somewhat fortunate that I have not gone all grey or gone bald like most of my friends have done. One thought I had a hairpiece on! I let him grab a handful to prove he was wrong. I am also too lazy to go through the extra work.
    Just one guys opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda - See, I am in two minds about it. It's cooler not to dye and to look good anyway but hey ho. You look really good with the grey and it's not that harsh steel grey on you.

    And I agree re Liz's style. It's the first pic where I think she looks like mutton. Maybe because he looks so ridiculous beside her.

    Linda in terminator and Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies were goijuss! I think I defo have a girl crush on jessica Lange though!

    R.Jacob - happiness is a great elixir of youth isn't it? Happiness and confidence. And good bones structure, good teeth and hooded eyes. I have none of those so it's dye for me!
    Funny that after all your words of wisdom you have given the 'men look stooopid' line ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen some guys do it, that's all. It had that shoe polish look. I do not think anything like that would help me! Haha

    ReplyDelete

Do comment...it makes me happy!