Hellooooooooo

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Enjoying the Break


We've booked a short while off work and the weather's been hot, hot, hot! 

April in England shouldn't be flip flops & shorts weather but I'm not complaining.  I have been shamelessly  splashing about in the paddling pool with S and the kids and having bbq's....in April....in England.

I noticed some sadistically, self righteous TV planner had scheduled Disney's Ice Age as prime time viewing yesterday, so we could all sit down and feel guilt ridden for sweating and laughing, in April, in England, whilst the ice caps are melting. It wasn't me! I've used roll on deodorant for years!

This oddly hot spell has made for a great few days off anyway.

S and I went lake fishing today. 

Well, S convinced me to accompany him whilst he fished.  I wasn't even allowed 10 minutes as you need a license.  I think I'll be getting one. 

It's a weird pastime.  I wasn't in agreement initially as it reminded me of when you hear about rich bloated businessmen paying good money to 'hunt' lions etc that are basically in large enclosures.

The fish are definitely in the lake.  The lake doesn't go anywhere, so neither do the fish.  You can't take the fish home to eat them, so what is the point?

Anyway, Mum & Dad were looking after the kids for us today, so we really got to just sit and listen. It's such a rarity for parents of youngsters to be able to just sit, so I found myself getting into the whole lake fishing idea.

Four hours we sat and listened.

There was a mother duck and her 9 downy little babies gliding passed, throwing out busy quacks and honks. A blackbird hopped around our feet, collecting all the brightly coloured maggots S had dropped whilst loading the hook.  That made me think about the types of people who go lake fishing. Quiet, polite people who take their litter home with them and respect their surroundings.  The blackbird was definitely comfortable coming very close to us to take what we weren't using.
We stared, silently as the ripples in the lake turned into circles as the fish moved around under the water. 

S explained that the hooks are barbless to cause as little stress as possible to the fish and also, I did notice that the fish he did manage to catch, looked extremely healthy and active.

Yesterday we went to bluebell woods with S's Dad, Step mum and little sister, and our kids.  It's amazing how the older generation can reel off all the different types of trees, flowers and birds to our kids, where as I might know an oak at a push, or a cabbage white.

Tomorrow if it's hot, we've promised the kids we'll go to the beach.  If it's proper April weather, we've promised them we'll have a picnic in the park instead.

All good in the hood!

2 comments:

  1. The UK certainly has been having nice weather. About time too from what I have heard.

    I like the thought of fishing but not the thought of catching one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - yep, it's an odd one. Believe me, when you've sat for hours, the thought of catching one kinda seems OK!

    ReplyDelete

Do comment...it makes me happy!