Hellooooooooo

Thursday 7 April 2011

Planning a Family Holiday

We have never been abroad together, Me & S.

Six years we've been together and we've never been on holiday.

He travelled a bit, playing football, (soccer) in America, and holidaying in Greece, Ibiza etc and I lived in the Canary Islands, Australia and Dublin for most of my 20's.  So, we're definitely not against the idea of travel and often stare at brochures of Mauritius, the Maldives and Sri Lanka, well anywhere with blue-green sea and white sand.  We dream of just 4 days alone, 4 days of selfishness.  Sunbathing, sipping cocktails, snorkeling or just sitting, reading a book and farting into the sand, uninterrupted by our babies wanting our attention, or angry work calls.

Anyway, we are not able to book that sort of holiday, so we are trying to decide on a destination for a cheap family holiday and can't believe how difficult it's been so far. 

We have the kids and so it needs to be relatively comfortable and safe.  We need a beach nearby that's not too rocky, or windy but that you can snorkel at.  We can't really have a hotel up a hill.  It needs to be hot but not blistering. We don't want to be surrounded by young clubbers, (God I sound sooooooooooooooooo old)!  I don't want to sit by the pool all day but the pool has to be nice enough to keep the kids entertained.  and blah and blah and blah.  Oh and then there's the threat of Mad Dog Gaddafi, so not too near Libya...or Egypt...or Africa

We are thinking Malta.  We are thinking Lanzarote.  I was thinking Cuba but was instructed to stop thinking Cuba as it is not within our budget.  I am thinking zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

S just suggested Euro Disney for 3 days with,  then 4 days somewhere 'snorkelly' WITHOUT!!! Oooh deep breath Debadee, deeeeeep breath!  No No NO! BAD PARENTS!!!! (heee hoooo heeeeeeeeeh)

Thing 1 is really looking forward to going on an aeroplane for the first time and I am sure Thing 2 will just love eating all that sand.  They have been wearing their new sunglasses a lot.  Thing 1 has been learning how to swim and he's getting really brave.  I love watching his face as he emerges from the depths of the bath, showing me 'a brilliant trick' he's learnt at swimming lessons.  Thing 2 is such fun and so fearless, until it comes to hair brushing.

Anyway, I think most NORMAL parents will understand that there is a slight tinge of sadness you get with the knowledge that the whole world will frown on you the moment you dare to request tickets for, 'just two adults please'... I will though, in about 5 years time... ahhhh sigh!

So if you can recommend a nice place, hot (bikini weather - NOT t shirt and shorts weather), clean sea, safe, not too far and not too expensive, let me know please.

  I still wanna go to Sri Lanka though...ooh and when I was in Australia, I boated out to Whitehaven beach (part of the Whitsundays) and the sand was so white and so fine that it squeaked under your feet. 

I never imagined booking a holiday would be such hard work!  HELP

 Vs

4 comments:

  1. It's so interesting to see your vacation considerations. I bet three-quarters of the people in the U.S. think Mauritius is a horrible disease. Okay, I confess--I've never heard of it, either. Ugly Americans...

    Lucky you! Isn't planning a vacation almost as fun as doing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deb...

    I have been to Malta..a few times. It is lovely. I took both kids there when they were babies. It was gorgeous. I have also been to Cuba too... Its not that expensive to get there but the journey is a nightmare - 12 hours on a plane with two very small ones is not the best!

    I think the canaries may be too hot and stifeling. Very humid. Was thinking about Altinkum in Turkey. It is lovely and very child friendly. Very clean and very friendly. Also cheap to get there and cheap while you are there. Has snorkling and lovely pools etc. That may be worth thinking about? Or even Majorca...?

    I would be happy to do the research for you.. I am a saddo who LOVES looking up holidays for other people. I definitely missed my vocation! If you want to inbox me your budget, dates etc, I will get you some options? xxx Hope you are well xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda Lou -
    Unfortunately Mauritius can't be called a 'consideration' of ours for at least 5 years (then it'll still be too expensive). I reckon by the time we get to go there, it'll be one big overcrowded gift shop, lined with 'only fools n horses' Brit pubs! There'll be a new dream island by then, called something like Ebola, or Lupus Erythematosus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sphillipso5 -
    Ooh thank you S05 I will take you up on that offer!!! Our budget is £1200 tops... that's 2 adults and a 4 & 2 yr old.... 4 star, nice pool, HOT and nice snorkeling beach xxxxxxxxxx THANK YOU - email me your finds to deardeb72@gmail.com Thank you Sar, i'll tell S we have our very own Judith Chalmers!

    ReplyDelete

Do comment...it makes me happy!