Hellooooooooo

Friday 8 April 2011

What's The Best Book You've Ever Read?

Aren't books brilliant? 

It's so rare to find a really good one and when you do, it's just magical isn't it? 

I don't read enough and it's partly down to lack of free time but mainly down to boredom.  So many books promise so many things and there are millions out there, all with fantastic covers and theatrical reviews but when you open them, I find, that most are same old, same old. 

I don't think I'm asking for too much.  I want to read a book, be able to picture what's going on, not be able to work out the end and I want to be able to escape into it.  That's what books should be all about. You should be able to escape from your real life, I mean completely lose yourself in it.  I don't want to just make do with a book.  I am not one of those people who can just read any old crap for something to do.  It has to engross me.

I recently read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time and Rapture.  Both books had been best sellers and both had fantastic reviews.  Well, at least I didn't find myself thinking, "i can write better than that", but I can't be bothered to finish 'Dog' and when I did finish 'Rapture', I thought, 'oh.....right'.

The first books that swept me away into their imaginary land were Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair and also, My Naughty Little Sister series. It was the way my Mum read them too. She is the best bedtime story reader ever.  She should've been on Jackanory with Rik Mayall when he narrated Georges Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl.

Maybe that's what it is, my mum spoilt me and so now I expect every book to take me on an other worldly adventure.

As an older kid, I remember being totally enthralled in Desperately Seeking Susan and not being able to put it down. I read it in two days.

I am not a book snob either.  I had a real phase of reading Jackie Collins when I was in my teens and loved them.  Not just for the sexy bits either, although Pinky Banana was quite a character, ergh, no it was because they were great at dragging you in, out of the grey, real world. 

After a lot of teasing and derogatory remarks from my intellectual pal Neil, (who made me read Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance), I started reading Face magazine and I think that's how I got into the darker, supposedly cleverer book type.  I read Catcher in The Rye, Junky, Diary of A Dirty Old Man, Last Exit To Brooklyn...all dark and dreary but they kept me enthralled at the time.

Gridlock by Ben Elton is a fantastic book. Completely different again.  It's a very funny book about the transportation system.  Please read proper descriptions on the books I've mentioned because my pea sized brain doesn't do them justice.

The last time I really got into a book was American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis, (I read one of his others and thought it was disconnected and boring) but with American Psycho's character Patrick Bateman, even though he is a vile monstrous sicko, at the end when the Police are after him, I wanted him to get away! Now how fucked up is that?  How on earth, unless you're one of those weirdo's who marry 'death row prisoners', do you feel sorry for a serial killer?  It really goes against everything I stand for.  I strongly agree in bringing back the death sentence and think the SAS should be able to 'train' on rapists and the like. Patrick Bateman though, hmmm, a different kettle of weird fish altogether. And this is even before I'd clapped eyes on the deliciously uptight Christian Bale!  That to me, is brilliant writing.

Fast forward about 18 years and I am now reading Bastard Husband, A Love Story - Linda Lou.

I got that first little chest tingling fizzle of excitement just a few pages in, this morning, when the two main characters realise the woman on the toilet floor has called for her son, who significantly has the same name as the father of the soon to be 'Bastard Husband'... Now, this means nothing to you, unless you've read it but it fills me with hope.

So, out of all the books that are on offer, what are your recommendations? What are the precious books in your life?  No matter how others may look down on your literary choice, what handful of books really kept you page turning?  Here is my measly list of mighty offerings...

The Faraway Tree - Enid Blyton
The Magic Wishing Chair - Enid Blyton
Desperately Seeking Susan - Peter Michael Marino ( I think)
Rock Star - Jackie Collins
Gridlock - Ben Elton
Wonderland Avenue - Danny Sugarman
American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis
 
added by a follower - follow the actual link inside my other post... http://debadeedoodah.blogspot.com/2011/04/httpwwwtelegraphcouknewsuknews1544033th.html

9 comments:

  1. OOOOH I love this post! I love books. I like nothing better than spending a rainy afternoon in the second hand book shop... I spend loads (£1 per book lol) - I used to love Horror books. I was really into Stephen King, Dean Koontz and Clive Barker... In that Genre, I love a short story by Stephen King writing under the pen name of Richard Bachman. It is a story called The Long Walk about a boy called Ray Garrity who walks 450 miles in the face of a horrific battle just to stay alive. It is a shocking book about strength of character and bravery - really shocking when I first read it at 15 and I have read it 3 more times since and completely loved it every time.

    Like you, I also went through a stage of Jackie Collins, unlike you, I only read them for the sex bits and screened the rest without actually reading the story. I would rather scoop out my eyes with a rusty melon scooper than read another book in that style now! (much rather have a cuppa!!)

    In the last few years, I have read alot of Marian Keyes and Cecelia Ahern and books of that ilk. Mainly because my friend at work lends me them and then asks me what I think! I wanted to avoid hurting her feelings so I read them to have an opinion! Having said that, P S I love you made me cry my eyes out really badly!! Was on holiday at the time. Mascara everywhere!

    I love the whole serial killer and crime novels these days. I have a few authors that I read as soon as they are on the shelves...Peter James, Mark Billingham, Chelsea Cain and my favourite at the moment, Stephen Leather. If you fancy a read of any of his books start with "The Chinaman" or "The Bombmaker" they are excellent. The book "Tokyo" by Mo Hayder is well worth a read too. As is "Birdman" by her - set all round Greenwich.

    Before it was trendy, I read "The Beach" by Alex Garland. Very good book too.

    Like you Deb, I am a little unfulfilled of late with some of the shite that is published and always think I can do better. I always guess the "twist" and it really pisses me off.

    I think I am going to have to change what sort of books I read but I hate Non-fiction. I hate autobiographies. They are so pretentious! I DONT GIVE A FUCK! what happened in these people's childhoods!!! And don't even get me started on the whole "Please daddy no" books. I feel that although cathartic for the victim who is telling their story, there is something a little sick about wanting to read them... or is that just me?

    My best friend Victoria loves books about polygamy and cults! I will go so far as to read non-fiction books about Serial killers but even they have no imagination any more!

    Please recommend me some crackers!!!!

    Sxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by the way, I also LOVED American Pyscho also... I loved Patrick Bateman and I think it is one of the few films from a book which really worked. Although I don't really like Christian Bale - he was amazing in that film :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic choice of books, very random and thoughtful collection, I have read many of them and loved each of them for different reasons.

    Books are the curse of my life, if I find a good one, the world totally stops until its finished! Have been known to come how from work, sit, have a coffee and start a book and suddenely realise its past 2am and I am about to read the last page!

    About 2 years ago I printed out the Telegraph top 100 books to read - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1544033/The-top-100-books.html - and made it my mission to rad at least 80% of them, only problem is, i lost the list and its now changed! my fav reads from the above list are:

    The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Alborn - really amkes you think about your life and the way it effects others!

    The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - a really engaging read, confuses and fasinates me, could this really happen! far better than the film

    Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden - I find the world of geisha amazing and this is ths feels very real, compared to the factual books I have read.

    I could go on and on, everyone has there own taste. there are some amzing books on the list.

    Just had a quick count up and I have nearly read 50% of the books, my mission will continue!

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emmy - YOU MADE IT! Well done, nice to see your list and thank you for readin/ commenting.
    The 5 people you meet in heaven sounds really interesting and I think I might have to buy that one...as soon as I've finished reading Bastard Husband -A love story...unlike you I take aaaages to read a book!
    Ooh ans thank you for putting that list on..I love 'top 100' lists, particularly film and song lists, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sphillips05 - Lovely talking to you finally... thank you for the holiday help...
    I'm gonna put the 100 recommended books list on, as recommended by anonymous Emmy... I think Birdman sounds tres promising and I defo think i'll get S The Long Walk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I will get you the Bachman books... I will send it to you as you are now my own personal health guru (if a little bit Nazi about it!!) I will get you a copy of the book from my book shop and send it to you on our one stone anniversary?! That do you??

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh and by the way, I have well and truly fallen off the wagon...

    2 cans of asphartame
    chicken tikka masala (1/2 instead of whole)
    and just about to east some yellowman icecream - vanilla with honeycomb bits..

    Sorry Fuhrer... I need greater management :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. that was eat... I was a bit excited lol.. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. In 7 minutes you went from me being your Nazi health guru, to eating curry and ice cream. Do you know honeycomb is pure sugar? Apart from maybe a drop of 'sunset' food colouring... And was it good cuts of chicken in the curry or out of a box...all packed lovingly with hydrogenated vegetable oil? Tut fcuking TUT!

    ReplyDelete

Do comment...it makes me happy!