Hellooooooooo

Tuesday 5 April 2011

Toilet

What happens to people, normal people, when they enter a public toilet? 
 
By public, I mean a toilet anywhere other than the one in your own home.

Some people feel the need to poo at work.  Now this is fine, if you need to and you don’t feel embarrassed about your work colleagues possibly walking into your aroma.  I know most blokes think nothing of pooing at work but most of my female friends wouldn’t dream of it.

I don’t.  The last time I did was so traumatic and weird, that I haven’t done since.

Brace yourself, this is not a pretty story….

I was working as an assistant manager in a well known store that had branches all over London.  We were short staffed so I had to cover the lunchtime period in one of the city branches.  I didn’t know any of the staff there and being as it was predominantly women, young women, it was quite gossip filled and bitchy. 

I had lunch on my own in the staff tea room at the back of the store.  I had a jacket potato and when I finished, I chucked the polystyrene container in the waste bin, in the staff toilet.

About an hour later, I suddenly, desperately need a poo.  I had to go. 

I waited for all the staff to be dealing with customers and snuck into the staff toilet. 

Luckily it was just a normal poo, not diarrhea or anything.  I washed my hands and flushed the toilet ......... and nothing happened. 

I lifted the lid of the cistern and looked, in horror as it was bone dry. IN A PANIC I grabbed the jacket potato carton and ….fished the poo out of the toilet (it had been sitting on top of paper luckily so at least I didn’t get my hands wet!!!).  I then marched through the packed shop floor and without a word, jogged out of the door thinking I’ll just casually chuck it in a bin….. well, it was years ago and during the IRA bomb scares, so all the bins were caged over!  So there I was, running up and down Fleet Street with a poo in a box. I think I finally got rid of it somewhere near The Strand.

Traumatised, I have not pooed at work since. 

In my defence, I had the decency to,
a) wash my hands and
b) worry about leaving it there for others to see…and
c) if that’s the worst thing I’ve done, over 20 yrs ago, then I don’t think I’ll be sent to burn in a fiery furnace any time soon.

People, women, because I only go into the women’s loo, do still poo and don’t seem to have any such concern for what others may see, hear or smell.

Only this lunchtime, I nipped in for a wee and headed straight for cubicle 1 to find a huge brown, shiny turd, lying there in its porcelain nest, like a snoozing python waiting to attack the arse of the next unsuspecting visitor.

Now, what agitated me is that the person who laid that big shiny shit had quite nonchalantly sat there, squeezed that monster out of their body and just left it. There cannot have been any attempt to flush it away either.  Who does that? And if they’re that slovenly, did they even bother to wipe?
I also have a problem with women who, knowing that there are others in the toilet nextdoor having an innocent widdle, plonk themselves noisily down on the seat and groan and wheeze, as though they are really proud of the thunderous, avalanche, crescendoing from their nether regions and they want the world to know about it.

Lastly, and I don’t know if this is mere folk lore, or whether it actually, truly and honestly happened but we have sanitary towel bags hanging from a hook on the back of each cubicle door at work.  There's a woman on each bag, dressed in a Victorian dress with what look like stains all over the skirt part - maybe it's meant as a warning to any woman who may be on the blob and too lazy to change.... anyway, there used to be a sign that said, ‘Please do not flush sanitary products down the toilets but please place in the bags provided’.

Rumour has it that one of the cleaners found that some thick, demented creature had done just that…literally. They had popped their dirty old jam rag in the bag provided….and left it, hung up on the door.

ERR!!! SORT YOURSELVES OUT PEOPLE!!!

11 comments:

  1. I wrote about my own toilety observations last month :)

    http://stegzy.blogspot.com/2011/03/bogs.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha that is ALL vile!!! But speaking of toilet some bloke (customer) used our work loo only last week. The said smelly git used my toilet the ladies and pissed all over the floor and my loo (he did at least put the lid up!) Anyhoo un be-known to me i wanted the ladies room so i went in and with horror saw the piss everywhere! I marched out into my work shop and confronted the said customer fffing & blinding!! Frog marched him back in there to clean up!! I followed with my trusty detol!! But seriously why use the ladies and why feel the need to piss everywhere?! I wasn't happy! The said customer come back into my shop the following day and bought me a box of Maltesers to say sorry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah C - HAHAHHA are you sure they were Maltesers and not little droppings? hahah I can't believe you marched a customer back in to sort it out hahah oh just BRILLIANT!

    Stegzy G - I just read and commented...see your post was how it should've been written...mine was just a filthy rant! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't even get me on this. I'm the poo patrol monitor...makes me feel very disressed and I'm rather vocal within the label about it! The amount of times I've walked into the "ladies" and felt sick at the smell and had to walk back out and discoverd a "no flush" or big old skidders up the pan is unreal! I've even found magazines stuffed behind the sanitary bin with the "press department" sicker on that they've borrowed from us to read through whilst on the loo!(obviously I've not allowed these returned back into our office due to poo partical's... I've called our facility deparment to remove and dispose of)!

    In the 15 years(as of last Friday - happy work Brithday to me) I've been at my office place, I can honestly say that I've only had one emergency situation. Other than that time I can't even have a widdle if someone else is in the loo at the same time and get "stage fright"! I'd rather have to suffer a belly ache than go at work...given that it's a shared place between about 30 women!

    Quite often we get staff from other label's on different floors coming down for a "code brown" claiming that their cubicals are all full!

    Someone from another floor dropped her office pass in the loo a few weeks ago having stunk up the place and left her mark...So I emailed all the women in our label as well as her's asking if they'd lost their pass and could come and collect it from me and do the walk of poo shame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous - You really are on form as the Poo Monitor aren't you? That poor girl who dropped her work pass next to a skidded up bowl, like leaving a calling card or a pooey mark of zorro!
    I can't imagine what their home toilets must look/smell like...
    Once, me and S got ill after eating carvery food at a Harvester (that had been recommended but loads of people) and S said that it was probably where a customer had done a poop then not washed their hands, got in line before us and helped themselves to the cauliflour cheese etc with 'poo particles' as you say, on their hands! Then we had eaten it! AAAAAAAAAGGGH

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen footprints on the toilet seat more than once when I have been out and about.

    I wonder if anyone opened your little box later on.

    Fantastically gross post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Footprints? It just get's weirder and weirder! I like to think some rowdy, aggressive, drug- addled alchy opened my box hoping for a nice warm potato...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wont regale you with my poo stories. There is just not enough time, energy, gag reflexes in me this evening lol.. but I will tell you that my husband worked on a building site in elephant and castle about 18 years ago. He really had the worst job on the whole site as he was a labourer and one of his jobs was to clean the portaloos every morning.

    That poor man saw horrors worthy of a Wez Craven film on a daily basis. Every morning, when he went into the toilets, armed with a mop and a j cloth and some flash. Every morning, the wee was all over the floor, seats (in the ones that had seats)up the walls and evry morning, one particular toilet was CAKED in shit. Everywhere! all up the walls, all over the seat and all over the floor. Ian's exact words were "honestly Sarah, the fucking place looked like Bobby Sands cell!" (for those who don't know who Bobby Sands was, he was a prolific IRA hunger striker who used to cover himself and his cell in his own shit as a dirty protest against his treatment in prison)... anyway, the point to that story is that how can a NORMAL human being seriously do that, knowing that someone else is going to have to come in and clean that up? What arrogant, disgusting ignoramus would DO that? To this day, it makes me so angry that my husband to be had to clean that to be able to put money by for our forthcoming baby. I would NEVER EVER EVER do that. EVER. How low can one person get?

    On a lighter note, When I have my relaxing vodka in hand tomorrow, I will tell you the story of my dad at Ferrari's restaurant in Crystal Palace a few years ago... guaranteed to raise a smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sphillips05 -
    I think your husband doth protest too much! The reason they all put him on poo duty was because they were all disgusted at the way in which he left that poop soaked lav... they have hidden cameras at work places ya know. It's fairly obvious that your husbands boss had just had enough and wanted to teach you hub a lesson in hygiene... I strongly advise you check under hubbies fingernails before becoming 'intimate' and maybe put a 'wash your hands' sign in the loo.
    Welcome back btw x

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmm possibly Deb.Luckily though, his hands scrap along the floor so his fingernails are always freshly grazed lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. grrr that was SCRAPE!!! Ruining a perfectly good joke with bad spelling lol x (doh!)

    ReplyDelete

Do comment...it makes me happy!